Re: [Pkg-postgresql-public] Postgres major version support policy on Debian

From: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Alexander Wirt <formorer(at)formorer(dot)de>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pkg-postgresql-public(at)lists(dot)alioth(dot)debian(dot)org, backports-users(at)lists(dot)backports(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pkg-postgresql-public] Postgres major version support policy on Debian
Date: 2008-10-10 07:49:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Alexander Wirt [2008-10-10 7:02 +0200]:
> > > So a compromise I can live with is to put it back into unstable (or
> > > even just experimental), but never let it propagate to testing. Then
> > > backports.org can do mechanized backports of updates without being

> mechanized? No.

I meant it in the sense of "run a script to create a backport from a
particular testing/unstable release, as opposed to changing any source
package and upload it manually to backports.org". I would very much
assume that this is what currently happens with backports.org. At
least that's how we do backports in Ubuntu, with "backport-source.py
package_name source_release".

I didn't mean "automatically move every -8.2 unstable upload to
-backports", of course.

> Only if they are tested carefully.

Goes without saying.

> And I still don't like this.