Re: localhost (windows) performance

From: johnf <jfabiani(at)yolo(dot)com>
To: "David Wilson" <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: localhost (windows) performance
Date: 2008-10-07 15:43:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 08:20:16 am you wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 11:11 AM, johnf <jfabiani(at)yolo(dot)com> wrote:
> > I then thought it had something to do with the data -although the data
> > set is small. I did a complete dump and restored on his machine and
> > again got the same results. The machine has a recent motherboard with 2
> > gb of ram. It does not appear to be swapping out ram.
>
> The standard first question- has the 8.3 db been analyzed?
>
> Compare the plans from the two systems- you may be getting different
> plans that account for the apparent slowdown.

No I did not check. But we are talking about very small data sets. No table
has more than 50 rows. I doubt that analyze will provide anything - but I
could be wrong. There is about 20 SQL statements that read data (selects
only) and they are very straight forward without joins or sub-selects. So
I'm thinking it has something to do with the way windows runs postgres or a
setting in XP.

--
John Fabiani