Re: PostgreSQL Cache

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Cache
Date: 2008-09-30 12:04:29
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 05:53:02PM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Sam Mason wrote:
> > echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> >As an aside, it would be nicer if there was a more appropriate program
> >than tee but I've yet to find one.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish here that tee isn't quite right for?

tee works for how it's being used for here; it's just wired into my
brain for tasks other than writing to files with different privileges.
I ended up with a similar invocation when I was solving a similar
problem a couple of months ago (not sure how I'd not hit it before then)
and kept searching for something more natural.

I've just done a search and using tee here appears to be somewhat
standard, so I guess that answers my question. Sorry for the noise!

Sam