Re: problem with custom_variable_classes

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Malcolm Studd <mstudd(at)recognia(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with custom_variable_classes
Date: 2008-09-25 05:35:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 07:33:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> It will accept *definitions*, yes. I can't imagine why you'd think
> it's a good idea to not throw error when asked for an unknown variable's
> value.

because this is how it worked.
i'm not saying it was good. it worked that way, and introducing such
change made some code (rownum in this example) not working.

i understand that postgresql is more about correctness than end-user
niceness, which has some obvious benefits, but i think - in such cases
at least a one-line information in release docs wouldn't be out of
place.

> The whole custom-variable thing is being abused far beyond what the
> facility was intended for, anyway.

i think it's great idea. somebody thought about cool thing for modules,
other people found other uses for it.
right now they are being effectively punished for
creativeness (unfortunatelly i can't say it is me, as i got the variable
trick from somebody else).

best regards,

depesz

--
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz / blog: http://www.depesz.com/
jid/gtalk: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com / aim:depeszhdl / skype:depesz_hdl / gg:6749007