Re: parallel pg_restore

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: parallel pg_restore
Date: 2008-09-24 07:50:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le mardi 23 septembre 2008, Andrew Dunstan a écrit :
> In any case, my agenda goes something like this:
>
> * get it working with a basic selection algorithm on Unix (nearly
> done - keep your eyes open for a patch soon)
> * start testing
> * get it working on Windows
> * improve the selection algorithm
> * harden code

I'm not sure whether your work will feature single table restore splitting,
but if it's the case, you could consider having a look at what I've done in
pgloader. The parallel loading work there was asked for by Simon Riggs and
Greg Smith and you could test two different parallel algorithms.
The aim was to have a "simple" testbed allowing PostgreSQL hackers to choose
what to implement in pg_restore, so I still hope it'll get usefull someday :)

Regards,
--
dim