Re: Download links

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Download links
Date: 2008-09-18 02:23:40
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:06:18 -0400
Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> wrote:

> > I think there is some confusion here. EDB does not require
> > collection of any data to download the software.

> Correct. As I said in my previous email, the information isn't
> required. However, IMHO, the presentation of a form at all to
> collect such information results in a significant market advantage
> over other vendors that also support PostgreSQL ...its great when the
> develop their leads at all, but when those leads come directly from
> the community site, its a whole different story.... All things being
> equal, it provides EDB with a huge competitive advantage - that many
> other contributors cannot avail themselves to (for a variety of

I am not 100% sure I agree with this, however in the interest of
compromise if I go to http://www.postgresql.org/download I am presented
with a list of operating systems:

* FreeBSD
* Linux
* Mac OS X
* Solaris
* Windows

What if that instead became:

* FreeBSD
* Linux
* CentOS/RHEL/Fedora ,
* Debian
* Ubuntu
* SuSE
* One-Click
* Mac OS X
* Fink
* Mac Ports
* Solaris
* Win32

3rd Party

This would eliminate the perceived favoritism. I think. Thoughts?

> reasons). The question being, should any vendor who chooses to
> package their own installer be given a position that is preferential
> over other vendors that contribute in a different (but perhaps just
> as beneficial to the community) way?

Well in my opinion any and all custom installers should be a distant
5th place over any native distribution packaging.

> I'm not sure I would classify this as an EDB related issue
> specifically, it's a question that is speaks toward a general policy
> with regard to how such things are handled....

Well (and I have been having this discussion with others offline) I
think .Org is pandering to the commercial interests a little bit
too much. I would like to see us move a little bit more to the left in
terms of our "community".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake