Re: Synchronous Log Shipping Replication

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Synchronous Log Shipping Replication
Date: 2008-09-09 13:01:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le mardi 09 septembre 2008, Heikki Linnakangas a écrit :
> The tricky part is, how does A know if it should wait, and for how long?
> commit_delay sure isn't ideal, but AFAICS the log shipping proposal
> doesn't provide any solution to that.

It might just be I'm not understanding what it's all about, but it seems to me
with WALSender process A will wait, whatever happens, either until the WAL is
sent to slave or written to disk on the slave.

I naively read Simon's proposition to consider GroupCommit done with this new
feature. A is already waiting (for some external event to complete), why
can't we use this for including some other transactions commits into the
local deal?

Regards,
--
dim