BUG #4410: Indexes not seen right away

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4410: Indexes not seen right away
Date: 2008-09-07 21:04:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

Bug reference: 4410
Logged by: Greg Sabino Mullane
Email address: greg(at)endpoint(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.3
Operating system: Linux
Details:

I cannot reproduce, as this was on a production system and not seen again,
but I created a simple index on a TEXT field, which was not chosen by the
planner, even when seqscan was turned off. I analyzed the table, checked all
the settings, etc. pg_index looked as it should. Eventually (~ 10 minutes
later) the index as chosen - I don't know what might have triggered it to
start appearing. Creating a second table based on the first worked as it
should during the 'noindex' time period: CREATE TABLE foo AS SELECT * FROM
bar; CREATE INDEX foo_idx1 ON foo(textcol); EXPLAIN SELECT 1 FROM foo WHERE
textcol1 = 'baz';