Re: reducing statistics write overhead

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing statistics write overhead
Date: 2008-09-06 18:02:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane escribió:

> (In fact, maybe this patch ought to include some sort of maximum update
> rate tunable? The worst case behavior could actually be WORSE than now.)

Some sort of "if stats were requested in the last 500 ms, just tell the
requester to read the existing file".

Things that come to mind:

- autovacuum could use a more frequent stats update in certain cases

- Maybe we oughta have separate files, one for each database? That way
we'd reduce unnecessary I/O traffic for both the reader and the writer.