BUG #4405: Valid certificate reported as expired

From: "Andrej Podzimek" <andrej(at)podzimek(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4405: Valid certificate reported as expired
Date: 2008-09-06 12:43:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4405
Logged by: Andrej Podzimek
Email address: andrej(at)podzimek(dot)org
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.3
Operating system: Linux
Details:

Hello,

I thought this was a PgAdmin III issue and reported it on the PgAdmin
mailing list. Only now did I realize that psql has exactly the same
problem.

I have been using psql (and PgAdmin III) with SSL for a couple of months. I
set up certificates for both the server and the client, valid until March
2009. Everything worked fine.

Now the bad news: Both psql and PgAdmin refuse to connect since yesterday,
with this error message:

Error connecting to the server: SSL error: sslv3 alert certificate
expired

This is obviously a nonsense, as both certificates are valid and system
clocks on both computers show correct date and time. I even restarted the
PostgreSQL server, which did not help.

There haven't been any such problems up to now, so what could be wrong? Is
there anything I should try?

Best regards,

Andrej Podzimek