Re: WIP: Column-level Privileges

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Column-level Privileges
Date: 2008-09-05 11:00:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Markus,

* Markus Wanner (markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Comments welcome, apologies for it not being ready by 9/1. I'm
>> planning to continue working on it tomorrow, and throughout September
>> as opportunity allows (ie: when Josh isn't keeping me busy).
>
> I'm trying to review this patch. I could at least compile it
> successfully for now.

That's a start at least. :)

> There have already been some comments from Tom [1]. You've mostly
> answered that you are going to fix these issues, but I'm pretty unclear
> on what the current status is (of patch 09/02). Can you please elaborate
> on what's done and what not?

I would suggest you review the updated patch (linked off the wiki page)
here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20080902221823.GL16005@tamriel.snowman.net

It includes my comments about what's done and what's not. I reiterated
much of it here as well:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-09/msg00263.php

> As this is still marked as WIP on the wiki page: what needs to be done
> until you consider it done?

As mentioned in above, regression tests, documentation updates,
dependency handling, and actually implementing the permission checks all
remain. What I'm looking for feedback on are the changes to the
grammer, parser, catalog changes, psql output, etc.

Thanks,

Stephen