Re: Question regarding the database page layout.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding the database page layout.
Date: 2008-09-03 02:03:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane escribió:
> > Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> >> BTW, there are at least two copies of that code to be changed. I'd
> >> suggest grepping for assignments to t_hoff to be sure there aren't more.

Besides heap_form_tuple and heap_formtuple, we have
heap_form_minimal_tuple
head_addheader

(it's also assigned to in heap_xlog_insert and heap_xlog_update, but I'm
not sure they need anything changed)

> > I did send in a patch a while ago to get rid of the old HeapFormTuple() and
> > friends.
>
> I remember discussing that idea, but I don't recall seeing an actual
> patch? It would have to be quite large because of the number of places
> using the old way. I'd also be a bit worried about breaking add-on
> modules to little purpose ...

The good news is that it's easy to convert each caller (of which there
are 57 currently BTW) to the new form; and we could just have
heap_formtuple be a wrapper over heap_form_tuple, to reduce breakage.
Maybe add a #warning about deprecation in there for a release or two.