Re: Aborted VACUUM FULL -> crash + corruption (xlog non-existent)

From: Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Aborted VACUUM FULL -> crash + corruption (xlog non-existent)
Date: 2008-08-26 16:22:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> > -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Aug 26 17:16 0000000100000018000000EE
> > drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 305232 Aug 26 17:14 archive_status
> >
> > Note that the archival of the ....ED xlog file started at 17:14:52,
> > and I cancelled the VACUUM FULL at 17:16:06.
>
> What's your archive_command?

archive_command = '/path/to/wal-archive.sh "%p" "%f"'

(only path to script changed for privacy)

The script just removes the archive file; the intent was to have
archival enabled such that we could start using it for real without
re-starting the server in the future. The script contents is:

===
#!/bin/bash

set -e

path="$1"
file="$2"

# put segment somewhere useful here

rm $path

echo "$(date): $path" > /tmp/wal-archive-stamp

exit 0
===

It would be embarressing if I caused this problem myself by
misunderstanding wal_archiving. My understanding has been that once
wal_archive gets called, no one ever cares what happens with the file
except if I want to do PITR (since the whole point is to offload it
somewhere or similar).

I'll go and re-read the documentation on this immediately. If this is
the problem, I do apologies for the noise and people's time.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey(at)scode(dot)org
E-Mail: peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com Web: http://www.scode.org