Re: What in the world is happening on spoonbill?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What in the world is happening on spoonbill?
Date: 2008-08-24 09:56:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:44:59PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I'm not sure all browsing setups support tooltips nicely.
>
> > Any half way modern browser that is not text based should support tool tips.
>
> Are we in the business of excluding text-based browsers? Or obsolete
> ones, for that matter?

You need to decide how you want it to appear on such browsers. If you
use the alt tag of images, text browsers will simply place the text
inline instead of the image. They'd probably ignore the title tag. The
title tag is the best, and is widely supported.

I'm not sure if any text browsers support CSS, so if implemented that
way, for them the tooltips simply won't appear.

Once you decide on exactly how you want text browsrs to be able to see
it then the solution becomes obvious.

Have a nice day,