Re: psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date: 2008-08-23 20:05:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:41:41 -0600
"Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
> <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it> wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:34:53 -0600
> > "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> >> Glad you got your problem resolved. I have to admit I tend to
> >> mostly use psql to interact with postgres. Nothing against
> >> PGAdmin III, it's good software. I just tend to feel more comfy
> >> scripting things than clicking things. Whether you're using
> >> pgadmin III or psql, it's important that you have the right
> >> version. For pgadmin it's usually best to always have the
> >> latest version, and with psql the one that matches your db.
> >
> > Is there any secret I don't know?
> > I mostly use pgadmin because:
> > 1) It is easier to cut and paste code and results
>
> I use /i /o a lot. poor man's cut and paste / multi-file buffer.
> also highlight / middle button click.

I just forgot that vim is vim:

Object Completion
----------------------------
dbext ties into Vim dictionary feature. You can complete table
names, procedure names and view names using the i_CTRL-X_CTRL-K
feature.

Viewing Lists of Objects
You can browse through the various objects in the database you are
connected to and specify wildcard information. For example you can
say, "Show me all tables beginning with 'ml_' ". These objects are
currently supported: Tables, Procedures, Views, Columns (for a
table).

Trying to make it work.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo