Re: make dist does not work in VPATH

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make dist does not work in VPATH
Date: 2008-08-20 21:08:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Fix option 1 would be to copy the build tree as well, if it is different from
> the source tree. Since the build tree contains a bunch of symlinks back to
> the source tree, this would probably need some careful file handling to not
> overwrite the real files with symlinks or something like that.

Thanks, this seems to do the trick. The only thing I'm missing here is
how to implement the "is the build dir different from the source dir".
Any ideas?

It is a shame that one needs to copy all the .o, .Po, etc files and then
remove them with "make distclean". It would be possible to skip linking
them by having an exception in the "find" line, but I'm not sure if that
works portably enough (i.e. is the extension common across all archs?)

Note that I skip directories not already existing in distdir. This is
so that the .deps directories are not included in the tarball, which
would be dumb. Also, as you note, we need to handle certain symlinks;
in my installation this is only needed for Makefile.port.

Attachment Content-Type Size
distdir.patch text/x-diff 1.0 KB