Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date: 2008-08-19 19:21:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:12:47 -0000
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> wrote:

> Ugh, you are heading in the wrong direction. The configuration file
> should be well documented: moving the documentation further away
> from it is the wrong idea, especially if it means firing up a web
> browser to do so.

It is impossible to document the postgresql.conf file in a manner that
is truly useful without firing up the reading material in the first
place.

Even with Josh's improvements there are too many variables and we are
just going to have a bunch of people breaking stuff and then
complaining that, "well it was suggested in the postgresql.conf".

> a URL
> for each config for example), but it's a great start. Text space is
> cheap, and having a consistent, well-documented, easy-to-read conf
> file is something worth shooting for.

I have yet to find one; anywhere.

Joshua D. Drake