Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies
Date: 2008-08-05 16:39:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > It isn't, and I seem to recall we've had that scenario play out a couple
> > times already for postgresql.conf changes. But pg_hba.conf is far more
> > complex than "variable = value" ...
>
> Ok, then I didn't misunderstand that part at least :-)
>
> Ah, well. I know that if others don't pipe in on my side of it, I'm
> implicitly out-voted ;), since I've stated my case by now... Thus, I
> won't put any time into working on it unless someone does.

Having one doesn't imply we don't have the other. I believe we should
definitely have both the --check-config (to address Tom's concern, and
to improve the user experience when doing an /etc/init.d/postgresql
reload or similar) and the check done in the postmaster and have it only
update the running config if the config file parsed correctly.

Thanks,

Stephen