Re: Rollback in Postgres

From: Kaare Rasmussen <kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "samantha mahindrakar" <sam(dot)mahindrakar(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Lewis Cunningham" <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rollback in Postgres
Date: 2008-07-14 19:59:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I just lost a months worth of stats data myself, so join the club. It
> wasn't critical data, but it would have been nice to have kept
> around...

I also think there could be a TODO item in it. If vacuum instead of removing
items, somehow stashed them away in a storage limited archive it would be
possible to do a SELECT...AS OF TIMESTAMP.

The idea is of course to be able to retrieve rows that really are deleted, but
are still on disk as non-vacuumed or vacuumed and not removed completely. And
it would also take a 2. stage vacuumer to keep the storage within its limits.

I don't say it's an important feature, but it would come in handy for people
who really really need it. And perhaps a developer wouldn't mind scratching
this itch some time in the future.

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg Email: kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk