Re: Identifier case folding notes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Identifier case folding notes
Date: 2008-07-09 07:59:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2008 schrieb Gregory Stark:
> "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> > One disadvantage is that one could no longer have objects that have names
> > different only by case, but that is probably rare and incredibly stupid
> > and can be neglected.
>
> Certainly not if you hope to claim being within a mile of spec

Which I don't.

> -- which seems like the only point of fiddling with this.

No, the point is making more applications run.

> Breaking this would take as further from spec-compliance than we are today.

As far as standards compliance goes, I don't think there is a well-defined
distance measure, but if you can come up with one, I would actually be quite
keen on debating this point. :-) In any case, any of this would only be an
option anyway.