Re: Solaris ident authentication using unix domain sockets

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Garick Hamlin <ghamlin(at)isc(dot)upenn(dot)edu>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Solaris ident authentication using unix domain sockets
Date: 2008-07-05 22:05:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Thursday 03 July 2008 14:01:22 Tom Lane wrote:
> Garick Hamlin <ghamlin(at)isc(dot)upenn(dot)edu> writes:
> > I have a patch that I have been using to support postgresql's
> > notion of ident authentication when using unix domain sockets on
> > Solaris. This patch basically just adds support for using
> > getupeercred() on Solaris so unix sockets and ident auth works just
> > like it does on Linux and elsewhere.
>
> Cool.

Hmm... I've always been told that Solaris didn't support this because the
Solaris developers feel that IDENT is inherently insecure. If that is more
than just a philosphical opinion, I wonder if there should be additional
hurdles in place to enable this on that platform. Note that isn't an
objection from me, though I'm curious if any of the Sun guys want to chime in
on this.

--
Robert Treat