Re: freebsd + postgresql 8.3.3 = 100% of cpu usage on stats collector?

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: Rodrigo Gonzalez <rjgonzale(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: freebsd + postgresql 8.3.3 = 100% of cpu usage on stats collector?
Date: 2008-06-29 21:13:59
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:35:24 +0200
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 02:22:26AM -0300, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
> > So, read man page, and at least ktrace -C and read the output at
> > ktrace.out file.
>
> ok, i've read it and didn't understand. it says how to disable tracing
> but it doesn't say anything about enabling tracing.

Use "ktrace -p [pid]" to start tracing. Then use "ktrace -C" to stop
tracing. Trace data is dumped in binary format to the file ktrace.out
(unless you use the -f option to specify another file)

Use the kdump utility to convert the ktrace.out file to something usable.
Something like "kdump > ktrace.txt" will probably get you what you want,
assuming your ktrace file is ktrace.out.

--
Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>