Data Types

From: "Mike Gould" <mgould(at)allcoast(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data Types
Date: 2008-06-23 18:00:46
Lists: pgsql-general

We are converting our system from using Sybase's SQL Anywhere 10 to PostGres 8.3. In SQL Anywhere there technically isn't any difference in how a char and varchar is stored. They are all an array of char[1]. So we always just defined everything as a char since right truncation is the default.

In PostGres though if we are using a character type column to search should we define that as a varchar or a char or does it make any difference?

Best Regards

Michael Gould
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC.