Re: Which hardware ?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which hardware ?
Date: 2008-06-17 15:42:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:49:17PM +0200, Lionel wrote:
> My tomcat webapp is well coded and consumes nearly nothing.

If I were ever inclined to say, "Nonsense," about code I've never
seen, this is probably the occasion on which I'd do it. A running JVM
is necessarily going to use some memory, and that is memory use that
you won't be able to factor out properly when developing models of
your database system performance.

> I could eventually run it on a different server, much less powerfull, but
> it's not on the same network, I guess this would be an issue.

The power of the system is hard to know about in the context (with
only 8Go of memory, I don't consider this a powerful box at all,
note). But why wouldn't it be on the same network? You're using the
network stack anyway, note: JVMs can't go over domain sockets.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/