default client encoding in postgresql.conf

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: default client encoding in postgresql.conf
Date: 2008-06-12 21:29:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

looking in my freshly installed 8.3.3, I see this in the postgresql.conf

#client_encoding = sql_ascii # actually, defaults to database
# encoding

Now, certainly initdb can't know for sure what encoding a future database will
be in, but since it does know what encoding template0 & friends will be in,
and most databases are copied from those (including encoding), wouldn't a
better default be to set it the encoding of template0?

--
Robert Treat