Re: Message-ID should surely not be shown as a mailto: URL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Message-ID should surely not be shown as a mailto: URL
Date: 2008-06-09 14:34:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:30:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I don't pretend to know what is the approved way to deal with these
> > issues, but *this* can't be best practice.
>
> Obviously, someone is looking for something that _looks_ like a mail
> address, attempting to munge it, and on the way through, changing it
> to a mailto: link. I think some parsing of the RFC2821/2822 headers
> is needed first, so that one doesn't do this for things like the
> message id.

Mhonarc does this mangling. I tried to stop it but couldn't find the
way. I didn't investigate it too closely though, so most likely there
is a way to make it work. If anyone wants to spend some time on it,
feel free to send patches. Our resource files are here:

https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/resource-current
https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/resource-common
https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/resource-utf8

The actual mhonarc call is in this script:
https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/mk-mhonarc

The mhonarc documentation:
http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/mhonarc.html

Oh, FWIW, the Message-ID URLs (which are just hard links actually) are
created by this script:
https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/createmsgid.pl

It has a couple of holes (i.e. there are certain types of Message-Ids
for which it doesn't work), so patches are welcome too.