Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-06 12:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
> * Can we present the config options in a more helpful way (this is 99%
> a documentation problem, not a code problem)?

ack

> * Can we build a "configuration wizard" to tell newbies what settings
> they need to tweak?

Some questions to clarify this:

- What settings do "newbies" (or anyone else) typically need to change?
Please post a list.

- What values would you set those settings to? Please provide a description
for arriving at a value, which can later be transformed into code. Note that
in some cases, not even the documentation provides more than handwaving help.

- If we know better values, why don't we set them by default?

Another orthogonal stumbling block on the way to making all of this automatic
is that the surely criticial shared_buffers setting will in any useful
configuration require messing around with kernel settings that no PostgreSQL
tool can really help with.