Re: Using role priviledges for pg_dump

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using role priviledges for pg_dump
Date: 2008-05-23 14:41:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Bill,

* Bill Moran (wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com) wrote:
> > If I have a database called db1 to which the role dumpable has enough
> > permissions to do a full pg_dump, but he user joe does not, how can
> > joe do a pg_dump? Is it possible?
>
> Apologies, I left out a key piece of information:
> The role dumpable has superuser privileges, and this is the reason that
> dumpable is able to dump the database. As noted in the docs, superuser,
> createdb, and createrole privs don't seem to inherit. If I remove
> superuser from role dumpable, that role can't do pg_dump either.

I've got the exact same situation and I don't believe there's currently
a way to fix it in PostgreSQL. I've been asking for this ability on
-hackers and will probably come up with a patch to implement it soon.
In my ideal world it'd get into 8.4 and maybe back-patched to older
releases if it's not too invasive.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in wanting to have this ability though. :)

Thanks!

Stephen