Re: [HACKERS] use of pager on Windows psql

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] use of pager on Windows psql
Date: 2008-05-17 23:36:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Not sure why ware are not. Should we enabled that code on Win32 and see
> > how it works? Can you test it? Was it some MinGW limitation? I do see
> > isatty() being used on lots of platforms.
> >
> > This is kind of odd. Ah, I bet it came from libpq's PQprint(), which I
> > think we had working on Win32 long before we had psql working and
> > perhaps I copied it from there. I don't see the Win32 checks around
> > isatty() anywhere else.
> >

> >> In fact, it looks to me like it would be much more sensible to #include
> >> "settings.h" and then simply test pset.notty for all platforms.
> >>

> > Yes, we could do that but does the isatty() value ever change while psql
> > is running? When you do '\g filename' does stdout then have isatty as
> > false?
> >

> Good point. I think the best thing would just be to remove the #ifndef
> WIN32 / #endif lines

OK, patch applied to remove the Win32 test in both places.

I was wrong about \g filename changing stdout, I think. It keeps stdout
but uses a different output stream. I am just unsure, given all the
features of psql, wether it could change stdin/stdout while running in
some way.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 1.7 KB