Re: Bolder vision of pg certification

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bolder vision of pg certification
Date: 2008-05-07 14:12:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:57:39AM +0700, Mudy Situmorang wrote:

> I believe we should take the path of Oracle. The database company that
> become an Information Company, by their strength in education and
> certification.

That's not the only thing that Oracle did. There is an important
difference with Oracle: Oracle Corp can restrict what any of its
customers say about the database system by virtue of the license those
customers agreed to, and it can also control what any employees say
about the system. This contrast is important, because it puts
practical limits on what an effort in the community can do.

Furthermore, Oracle Corp had large amounts of money to spend on this
certification effort. The programs you are discussing are expensive
to operate and extremely hard to develop. This isn't something you do
in a weekend with your friends, and still have it be valid.

Finally,

> PostgreSQL Global Institute (PGI)

[ . . . ]

I think you need to go back to the -certification list archives and
look at the discussion (or, depending on your view, flamewar) about
governance.

In any case, this discussion belongs on the other list.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/