quirk using 'ltree' module: paths ending with a dot result in cryptic error message

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam(at)zoidtechnologies(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: quirk using 'ltree' module: paths ending with a dot result in cryptic error message
Date: 2008-04-28 04:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

greetings,

I am using opensuse 10.3, and postgresql-contrib-8.2.6-0.1 which has
the "ltree" contrib bundled with it.

I have found that if I do a search with a path that ends in a "." (dot), the
error message I get in my logs is something like "unexpected end of line" or
some such, which imo doesn't tell me what the actual problem is :)

eros=# select * from sig where path <@ 'top.';
ERROR: syntax error
DETAIL: Unexpected end of line.

posting the issue here was suggested by someone in #postgresql earlier today.

if I can be of assistance with more details please let me know.

regards,
jeff
--
http://zoidtechnologies.com/