Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-26 13:44:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> I don't see that behavior here on Ubuntu 7.10:
>
> $ COLUMNNS=120 ls -C |cat
> archive cd initrd lost+found proc srv usr
> basement.usr dev initrd.img media root sys var
> bin etc laptop mnt rtmp tmp vmlinuz
> boot home lib opt sbin u win
> $ ls --version
> ls (GNU coreutils) 5.97
>
> That is not a 120 width. 'ls' seems to ignore columns for pipe output.

Oops, Alvaro pointed out I typo'ed the variable name COLUMNS as
COLUMNNS. I see now that 'ls -C' does honor columns. See my later
posting about '\pset wrapped 0' as a special case where we could honor
the ioctl/COLUMNS case.

My real confusion is this:

$ echo $COLUMNS
146

$ ls -C|less
archive cd initrd lost+found proc srv usr
basement.usr dev initrd.img media root sys var
bin etc laptop mnt rtmp tmp vmlinuz
boot home lib opt sbin u win

$ COLUMNS=120 ls -C|less
archive bin cd etc initrd laptop lost+found mnt proc rtmp srv tmp usr vmlinuz
basement.usr boot dev home initrd.img lib media opt root sbin sys u var win

Why does the first 'ls' not honor columns while the second does? How
does 'ls' detect that the COLUMNS=120 is somehow different from the
default COLUMNS value?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com