Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 4

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: "Tom Lane *EXTERN*" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve shutdown during online backup, take 4
Date: 2008-04-24 12:35:17
Lists: pgsql-patches

Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > I concur that the messages added to pg_ctl are bizarrely formatted.
> > Why would you put a newline in the middle of a sentence, when you
> > could equally well emit something like
> >
> > WARNING: online backup mode is active.
> > Shutdown will not complete until pg_stop_backup() is called.
> >
> > While we're on the subject, the messages added to xlog.c do not
> > follow the style guidelines: in particular, errdetail should be
> > a complete sentence, and the WARNING is trying to stuff independent
> > thoughts into one message. I'd probably do
> >
> > errmsg("online backup mode cancelled"),
> > errdetail("\"%s\" was renamed to \"%s\".", ...
> >
> > errmsg("online backup mode was not cancelled"),
> > errdetail("Failed to rename \"%s\" to \"%s\": %m", ...
>
> Attached is a patch that changes the messages along these lines.
> Thanks!

Hmm. I've preivously been told not to use "Failed to" but instead use
"Could not"... Didn't notice that Tom used the other one in his
suggestion.

Tom (or someone else) - can you comment on if I misunderstood that
recommendation earlier, or if it still holds? I'll hold back a commit
until someone has commented on it :-)

Also, from this patch, you removed the %m part - I have re-added that
before commit.

(I will not for now comment on the rest of the mail, I'll leave that to
Tom)

//Magnus