Re: pgwin32_safestat weirdness

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgwin32_safestat weirdness
Date: 2008-04-15 14:39:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Shouldn't be too hard to do, but I keep thinking it'd be cleaner to
> > just not do the redefine when building libpq. It means we'd add a
> > define like BUILDING_LIBPQ or something to the libpq Makefile, and
> > exclude the redefine if set.
>
> +1 for that general approach, but let's call the macro something
> like UNSAFE_STAT_OKAY. If the day ever comes that we need safestat
> inside libpq, or more likely that we want to exclude it from some
> other piece of code, it'll be clearer what to do.

Hmm. I thought BUILDING_LIBPQ would be the more generic one, since we
might want to control other stuff from it. I recall wanting that define
at some point in the past, but I can't recall why... :-)

But - I'll do it with UNSAFE_STAT_OK if that's what ppl want. And then
a simple ifeq() section in libpq Makefile, right?

Or we could have libpq define the BUILDING_LIBPQ, and have a header say
#ifdef BUILDING_LIBPQ / #define UNSAFE_STAT_OK / #endif.... That would
certainly be the most flexible, but maybe not the prettiest solution
until such time as we actually need it.

//Magnus