Re: pulling libpqtypes from queue

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pulling libpqtypes from queue
Date: 2008-04-15 13:51:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Chernow escribi?:
> >
> > This patch has been lingering around since Aug 2007. It has matured a
> > lot and now calls libpq home. Unfortunately, ISTM that there is limited
> > support for our proposal. We either pitched to the wrong crowd or
> > pqtypes doesn't have the mass appeal we expected. With that said, we
> > are considering shopping this elsewhere ... ie. pgfoundry.
>
> I expect you intend to get at least the hooks in, right?

No, I don't think so based on what he said. Even to add the hooks to
libpq we would need to have more community demand than we have seen,
which I think is what he is alluding to in his email.

I think they have come upon the right answer, and that is to develop a
version on pgfoundry and see if they can get user demand for a more
invasive addition to our core code at some point in the future.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com