Re: Mailing list lists

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2008-04-03 15:37:30
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:38:39 +0100
"Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Joshua D. Drake
> <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > This is actually an open thread dave :P. I brought this up before
> > EAST.
>
> Oh, sorry - it's been a busy couple of weeks.
>
> > My thought was to modify the main .Org site to be the authoritative
> > reference and have the front page of archives point there.

> I'd prefer it to all be in a database, but I feel that unless the main
> index, list intro pages and subscription pages are all managed that
> way it'll just add complexity to no great benefit.

Well first let's clearly define the problems associated. I see a couple
of things:

1. The following two pages are always out of sync.
* http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
* http://archives.postgresql.org

2. The two pages listed above are managed separately in terms of the
content resource. Archives is a html where WWW is databased.

I have two solutions:

1. We figure out a way to make WWW the front end portal. We can
just use a redirect from archives if the url is / . There are benefits
to this:

* We have the subscribe form and other resources immediately available.
* community/lists is already just a link point to archives so we don't
need the archives front page.
* We have a central place to manage all lists without worry of being
out of sync

2. We leave things as is but change the method of keeping the two in
sync.

* Use a cron job on wwwmaster that will write out an xml file of
current lists at the same time the mirror script updates. That xml file
should be made available via rsync.

* Have archives pull the xml file every -n- minutes that file is then
parsed as part of the main index load on archives.postgresql.org

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --