Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Date: 2008-04-02 18:28:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> And the cat's out of the bag there, too. Have you tried to get a
> system that doesn't include strong crypto running any time recently?

Well yes, I have recently been involved in a large deployment of such systems.
The details are a bit too involved for this thread, but the notion expressed
elsewhere in this thread to make it easy to separate or rip out the different
parts are exactly what facilitated that project. Now I am not saying that we
must keep pgcrypto away from the core code forever for the benefit of these
specific and well-funded external requirements. But these requirements do
exist, and I haven't seen a good reason _for_ moving pgcrypto in this thread.
Note that the original post actually wanted an sha1 function for MySQL
compatibility.