Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date: 2008-03-29 14:27:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:41:52PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> For the record, I think any renaming is a terrible idea, and a solution
> in search of a problem. Any change, no matter how long it takes, will
> break untold number of scripts, make us look bad, and frustrate
> people, similar to the way that implicit cast removal did in 8.3, but
> without the Very Good Reason to show people why we made the change.

I agree with everything in the above. It would be easier for new users if
we spelled it "list files" instead of "ls", and much safer if "su -; rm -rf
/" always caused an error. But we have to live with the world we have, not
the alternate universe contemplated in the _UNIX Haters' Handbook_. It is
too late to change command names, even if it were a good idea.