Re: Auto Partitioning Patch - WIP version 1

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto Partitioning Patch - WIP version 1
Date: 2008-03-26 14:05:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escribi?:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > My point is that you should only _add_ Message-Ids, not remove them.
> > > You can move the messages from one queue to the other to your heart's
> > > content, but the Message-Id URL should continue to work with no changes.
> >
> > Well, when an email is applied, it is deleted. How do I update the
> > message-id for that in an automated manner. Right now a rebuild deleted
> > all the links and recreates them.
>
> Well, remove the part that deletes links, and keep the part that
> creates links. That way, links that used to work continue working.
>
> I am assuming you use hard links -- obviously this doesn't work with
> symlinks. (My script creates hard links.)

I was using symlinks. I try to avoid hardlinks that cross directories
--- not sure why, probably because I can't easily manage them to find
out what something is linked to without playing with inodes. You are
right that if I used hard-links I put things in a separate directory,
and the hard links would still contain the email, though if the email
has been removed, should we still be returning it from a query? I
suppose I could delete items with only one link.

Well, if I move the permanent links to another directory, as you
suggest, I am going to invalidate every link. Maybe we should wait for
this commit fest to end and then I can create a permanent link directory
and use hard links.

Or is everyone OK with invalidating all the permanent links now.

> > > after the name of the poster, so that it would be visible on the index
> > > page and the user didn't have to open the page to get it.
> >
> > We can do that if people want. I used to show the message id on the
> > thread page but several felt it was too cluttered-looking.
>
> Well, it would have helped me. I suggested "permalink" as text because
> it is less clutter than the full Message-Id. Besides, the Message-Id by
> itself is useless, whereas a link is useful.

Are you talking about the permalink in the js-kit comment or the