Re: New email list for emergency communications

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New email list for emergency communications
Date: 2008-03-26 13:44:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:39:33AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I don't see a reason for us to run one private and one public server. In

I agree with that. The problem is that the protocol is actually designed so
that you don't need these infernal private servers.

> AFAIK every reasonable IM client people would use today can easily add
> two jabber accounts (or more), so I don't see the problem, really.

Part of the point of the Jabber protocol is to avoid having to track which
account you have to use to talk to which people. Having all these private
servers is taking us back to the days of GEnie, CompuServe, and other such
closed networks: you had to know which gateway (or series of gateways, in
the case of UUCP mail) to use in order to reach your party. Computers are
better at routing than humans.