Re: [pgsql-www] New email list for emergency communications

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] New email list for emergency communications
Date: 2008-03-25 00:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
>
> >> I tried this once already. I dumped the first page of Bruce's queue into a
> >> wiki page and laid it out in a column. But I wanted to add links back to the
> >> messages in the archive and ran into a problem with that. It also would have
> >> been a pain because Bruce's list is divided up into pages.
> >
> > Yep, sorry.
> >
> >> If we modify the archives to have a URL to go straight to a message-id and
> >> Bruce generated a list all on one page including comments and message-ids then
> >> I could process them all into a wiki page in a few hours.
> >
> > Ideally we could have a message id link to the official archives. Off
> > list tell me what you want and I will generate it.
>
> Well I was going to let this commit-fest go forward and then try to get what I
> would want from you when a) the list is down to a manageable size and b) isn't
> actively being used.
>
> What I wanted was a page that included all comments, the message-id of each
> message, the author of each message, and included everything on one page.

You can get the message-ids by grep'ing the mbox file, and the comments
are all:

http://js-kit.com/rss/momjian.us/msgid-*

e.g.

http://js-kit.com/rss/momjian.us/msgid-200710222037(dot)l9MKbCJZ098744(at)wwwmaster(dot)postgresql(dot)org

So, once you grep the message ids, you can just pull the comments using
the above URL with your current message-id. Is there anything else?

> The other half of this was modifying the archives so that we had a URL we
> could pass a message-id to. I think we all agreed that would be a wonderful
> thing to have regardless of how we tackle this list anyways.

Agreed.