Re: [pgsql-www] New email list for emergency communications

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] New email list for emergency communications
Date: 2008-03-24 21:41:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > This is an interesting observation that deserves to be discussed
> > separately, and relates to the patch queue. Many people want to know
> > what is happening with the patch queue but having better reporting
> > doesn't seem to help much the people who are actually processing the
> > queue, and requires more work.
>
> I'm not sure I follow. I tried last week to give some hours for patch
> review. What actually happened was that I had to wade through a ton of
> stuff, skipping patches that were already applied, threads that were
> purely discussion but not patches, threads about earlier versions of
> some patches.

Yep, that describes the painful process well.

I have tried to stay on top of patches already applied but I am doing a
clock sweep over the queue and you probably caught a spot I was nearing.

The rest is clearly hard to digest. Ideally I could group all related
patches together, and separate the pure TODO items from the patches that
might be TODO items or might be applied. (Though I do need comments on
the pure TODO items too.)

The problem is that I know of no easy way to do that and the time to
doing it is better spent actually processing/deleting items.

> I did manage to find actual patches, but I had then to resort to my own
> mailbox to get the actual patch to apply and review.

You can download an mbox of the entire queue if that helps.

> Now I can't be sure whether the current commitfest is finished or there
> are still patches pending review; what patches could use input from me;
> what patches I could bounce to the next commitfest.
>
> Also I don't know what patches we have for the next commitfest. I would
> gladly give some time to put up a Wiki page to list the patches for the
> next commitfest. Would that be helpful?

Uh, I don't think we have any patches for the next commit fest yet.