HOT and autovacuum

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: HOT and autovacuum
Date: 2008-03-03 21:03:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm seeing a 8.3 database whose autovacuum-initiated vacuums are being
cancelled and I am not sure of the cause. I am wondering if a HOT
cleanup round on a page could try to acquire locks on it that would
conflict with autovacuum (basically anything that conflicts with a
vacuum lock). This would cause autovacuum to commit hara-kiri.

If the table is frequently updated and HOT is invoked often, this could
be very frequent. The auto-cancel feature of autovacuum is IMHO, in
this case, not welcome. Perhaps we could teach autovac to not cancel
itself if the other locker is a HOT page prune?