Re: We should get active / Wiki choice

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We should get active / Wiki choice
Date: 2008-02-28 08:35:24
Lists: pgeu-general

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:10:34AM +0100, damien clochard wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008 01:31:07 Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> > Hi Josuah,
> >
> > > FYI: www.postgresqldocs.org is running mediawiki from trunk on 8.3 with
> > > the integrated tsearch. It works very well. If you chose this I would
> > > be happy to help whoever sets it up with what I learned.
> >

> From my perspective mediawiki is a pain for anyone who'd like to translate an
> article. i might be wrong. If so, please just explain me how do i translate a
> page from www.postgresqldocs.org.
>
> for instance this page :
> http://www.postgresqldocs.org/index.php/Slow_Count
>
> Afaik the only way to make translation easy with medawiki is to create a
> separate mediawiki instance for each language. Which sounds like a pretty bad
> idea in our case.

I am no wiki expert by far, but it seems there is at least one extension
for mediawiki to do this
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MultiLanguageManager)
I have no idea how it works thuogh.

> Moreover i'm just frustrated that every new projet in this community just uses
> English has its one and only language. I'm not asking that every projet
> translate all their content in various language, i'm just asking for the
> **possibility** of doing the translation. When people launch a new project,
> is that so hard to ask the question : "What if a Spanish guy comes up and
> want to translate our {software,wiki,flyer,whatever} ?".
> In most cases, the response is a closed door.

ISTM that most of the language-local communities prefer running their own
site. I know we had translation capabilities in the main website for years
with exactly *zero* offers for content. (right now, I think they are
broken, but that's being looked at, if slowly only)

> There are still a few people on this earth that don't speak English. Some of
> them don't event want to learn this language. Does this mean they cannot use
> PostgreSQL or get involved in PostgreSQL Europe ?

It certainly shouldn't :-)

//Magnus