Re: encoding???

From: Ivo Rossacher <rossacher(at)bluewin(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding???
Date: 2008-02-26 23:53:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

SQL_ASCII is not really an encoding, it is more the lack of any encoding
support from the server. With this setting the encoding is fully the
responsibility of the client application.
This is very comfortable for special cases but for most regular cases it is
only asking for troubles.
Therfore for most cases UTF8 should be the prefered encoding on the server
side. The client encoding only tells the server how to convert the data from
and to the client. How to set this depends on the capabilities of the client.

In the manual in chapter 22.2 Character Set Support you can get more details
and all from the server supported conversions.

Best regards
Ivo