Re: lc_time and localized dates

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Subject: Re: lc_time and localized dates
Date: 2008-02-26 18:11:22
Lists: pgsql-patches

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
> But how you handle situation when you have multi language application
> which needs correct output for all languages? You cannot use any of the
> pattern because it will be wrong for some group of languages.

This is what you get when you copy a proprietary, poorly specified interface.
The to_char functions are supposed to be Oracle-compatible, so we need to
check what Oracle does. Whether that is useful in practice is a bit
secondary.

I'm beginning to think, if you want formatting functions that are more sane,
stable, and standardized, export sprintf and strftime to PostgreSQL.

--
Peter Eisentraut