Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-02-26 11:31:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:39:29AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > ... So it would be good if we could dump objects in 3 groups
> > 1. all commands required to re-create table
> > 2. data
> > 3. all commands required to complete table after data load
>
> [ much subsequent discussion snipped ]
>
> BTW, what exactly was the use-case for this? The recent discussions
> about parallelizing pg_restore make it clear that the all-in-one
> dump file format still has lots to recommend it. So I'm just wondering
> what the actual advantage of splitting the dump into multiple files
> will be. It clearly makes life more complicated; what are we buying?

One use-case would be when you have to make some small change to the schema
while reloading it, that's still compatible with the data format. Then
you'd dump schema-no-indexes-and-stuff, then *edit* that file, before
reloading things. It's a lot easier to edit the file if it's not hundreds
of gigabytes..

//Magnus