Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE to be ignored by VACUUM
Date: 2008-02-20 04:17:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> > 4. ANALYZE finishes in a short time.
> There was a paper with a nice algorithm posted a while back which required
> only constant memory but it depended on scanning the entire table. I think to
> do n_distinct estimates we'll need some statistics which are either gathered
> opportunistically whenever a seqscan happens or maintained by an index.

VACUUM would be another good timing for the alogrithm, because it does
a seqscan. If we do so, we need to separate an analyzing transaction
into sampling and updating-stats transactions to keep vacuums as
ignorable transactions.

However, VACUUM will not do a seqscan when we have Dead Space Map or
Segment Visibility Map. We will need incremental statistics updating
if reliable n_distinct estimation requires many samples.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center