Re: dynamic crosstab

From: Balázs Klein <Balazs(dot)Klein(at)t-online(dot)hu>
To: "'Joe Conway'" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "'Erik Jones'" <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
Cc: "'Tino Wildenhain'" <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamic crosstab
Date: 2008-02-15 08:52:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Joe wrote
> It occurs to me that it shouldn't be terribly difficult to make an
> alternate version of crosstab() that returns an array rather than tuples
> (back when crosstab() was first written, Postgres didn't support NULL
> array elements). Is this worth considering for 8.4?

I think there should be a generic way in Postgres to return from an EAV model. Although I have no evidence on that I keep thinking that the db must be more effective at that than the application would be.

I was hoping that now with PG supporting plan invalidation it would be possible to return a recordset. If there is no generic way to return a recordset than being able to return an array is much better than nothing.

B.