Re: NLS on MSVC strikes back!

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NLS on MSVC strikes back!
Date: 2008-02-12 13:08:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> I have compiled 8.3 (CVS HEAD) with NLS on a XP box. But it seems that NLS
> support is broke.
> Could someone please confirm this.

What I can confirm is that lc_messages is supposed to work for to_char,
because it shows the localized output for me as I change lc_messages;
and it doesn't if I change lc_time.

In any case,

> Gevik=# show lc_messages ;
> lc_messages
> ----------------------------
> English_United States.1252
> (1 row)
>
> Gevik=#
> Gevik=# set lc_messages TO 'de_DE.utf8';
> SET

I wonder if this is really valid. Shouldn't you be using a locale name
like 'German_Germany.65001' or some such? I thought Windows did not
recognize the de_DE.utf8 form of names. Perhaps it failed to raise an
error here? It does for me:

alvherre=# set lc_time to 'fr_CA.utf8';
SET
alvherre=# set lc_time to 'de_DE.utf8';

Suffice to say I don't have the de_DE locale installed.